Seeing the forest through the trees

 TRIP RECAP (for those of you who may have missed the photos on FaceBook):

  • We are so happy to have a daughter-in-law! What a perfect match for our son. We are excited to see the life they build together. The wedding in the Boston area was a fantastic celebration of their love. 
  • It was an action-packed four days in Massachusetts. My favorite part (other than the "I do's") was having the four boys together. What a blessing to see them all happy and growing into responsible men. An answer to many prayers as they were growing up.
  • And then it was on to Chicago for a drive up to Escanaba, MI, to visit my mom and family there. We celebrated Mom's birthday (80th) and surprised her with a party. While her physical health is great, her mental decline continues. Your prayers are appreciated for her and all helping to take care of her at this time. 
     After two weeks back in the U.S. for Dustin and Tory's wedding and then a trip to the Upper Peninsula, it seems like I've been playing catch up. Stuck in the details and not focusing on the bigger, more beautiful life around me - and thus, not seeing the forest through the trees.
     It has been an unusual two weeks since I've returned. John stayed in the States to visit his sister Reba and her husband Bob. Reba was recently diagnosed with liver and pancreatic cancer and John hopes to help out while she is going through some treatments. Your prayers are coveted for healing and peace. He'll return to join me in Honduras next month.
     While John has been gone, I've had some time to reflect on a lot of things. What is important in life? What is my purpose? What am I doing for the greater good? I know, deep stuff. But I'm pulling myself out of the trees to see the bigger picture.
     So, I'll leave you with a few of my ponderings:   
     I am reminded that family (blood, church, and/or those friends who have become family) grounds us. We need to be there to support one another in all things. This doesn't mean we don't have differences or disagreements, it means we are honest and loving. This, and my relationship with my heavenly father, is what is important in life to me.
     Still working on my purpose and what I'm doing for the greater good questions. I think I'm growing every day though and trying to do something good to reflect Jesus in this world. I'm also reminded that our "good works" are often best seen in the relationships we forge and smiles rather than a physical construction of our own little empire.
     This area of Honduras has been described as having a "cloud forest" climate; sometimes also called la montaňa llorona (which means the weeping woods). As I returned to Honduras after our trip, my heart was happy to again see the beauty of this country, even through the dirt, poverty, and difficulties in day-to-day life here. Sometimes I want to weep, like the forest, for the sad conditions. But I also see that the clouds and rain bring growth and life.    
     Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds


 









   

Comments