"Primero Dios"



    In Central America we've heard "Primero Dios" or "que Dios lo permita" a lot. Literally it translates "if God wills it." It means that the plans of men can be preempted by God. He is in control and while we as humans make plans, they will only come to fruition "if God wills it." Nothing is guaranteed and sometimes that is difficult for those of us who are planners and who like order. 
   In my mind my time serving here in Honduras was supposed to be different than what this experience has been so far. In fact, it is very different. 
   I knew living in such a poverty-stricken country would mean many of the creature comforts of my old life would go away - and they have. I also knew being away from our family and friends would be difficult - which it has been. 
   I had images of John and I directly having an impact on many people's lives. I thought I would go to sleep every night fulfilled and exhausted from a busy schedule of helping others and God being glorified through my work. And while I am sure I contribute to the greater good and creating the ability to spread the gospel and example of Christ, it has not been how I've imagined it. 
   Sometimes things are difficult. I think it is like when God uses the example of using fire (trials) to hone the sword (strengthen our character). I hope I am an earnest student subject to His will. But I am also human and have to be reminded. I know my life is way less difficult than that of almost every Honduran, and I give thanks for my blessings.
   I have seen the tender hearts of the young people here at the Mission. They seem to continually put God first. I hear it in their voices as they sing at church and interact with the children. I see it in their relationships with one another and their commitment to be here in a foreign land so far away from their families. I strive to be more like their spirits. 
   I am learning every day that being a servant means accepting God's will and not being overly frustrated when my best-laid plans have to be adapted. It's like cooking here in Honduras. The availability of various ingredients for dishes I like to cook is not always great, in fact it is often hard to find things we would think of as staples in the US. For example, canned cream of chicken soup is not to be found. Instead, there are packets that you add milk or water and cook on the stove to make the soup. These are just extra steps to be taken in order to make that casserole. Another example is not being able to consistently get blocks of cream cheese - sometimes they are at the market and other times when I've planned to make something using cream cheese, I have to change my menu.  And "que Dios lo permita," there will be chunky peanut butter next time I go shopping!
   There are little triumphs among the daily struggles. I am trying to find joy in these to keep a positive perspective. I pray that God will bless our work here and that the lessons we are learning will open our hearts to His will. 
   Primero Dios we will see you all soon.

Jeremiah 29:11-13
 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

ALSO - John writes random thoughts and sightings from Santa Rosa de Copan, Honduras, about his life in pieces…

     My diabetic toe ulcer has returned. Was first told to stay off my feet for 10 days, as pressure makes it hurt and prevents healing. Was told a second time not to walk for 10 more days. Then referred to a new doctor who I thought would debride (clean it with a sharp object). No, he said, stay off of it for 10 more days. But he did give me some sort of acid-like fluid to chemically peel the area. This seems to be working. Only eight more days of my 30-plus days of bed rest until I return for my next appointment. OK, not exactly bed rest, but I’m getting mighty tired of laying around the house. Never thought it would be so hard to do virtually nothing. I do have a cane, however, to help me maneuver to the bathroom, bed and dining table. Now for some good news: my “stroke doctor” is extremely pleased with my progress.
     Tigo, the neighborhood cat who believed from our first day here that he lived with us, is still quite comfortable on our patio. He and my dog, Novia, have become best friends, even though they sometimes play a bit too hard, loudly barking and hissing. It is extremely nice, however, when they lay down together to take a nap, sometimes even trading kisses (licks).
     Not really important, but I likely know more about what is happening in the news in Miami, than many of those residents. I spent my career in the news business and I am still a junkie. Our TV feed of American channels comes from there. I have learned, that like most large American cities, the South Florida area has its own “high crime and shooting gallery.” If you ever visit, stay away from Miami Gardens.
     Hank has been living with us this summer and working as an intern at the mission. It is good to have him here.
     Not really sure what season we are in here. It rained almost every afternoon or early evening in July. I have been told to expect the same thing in August. Yet in the daytime, the temperature is comfortably around 70 to 80 degrees.
     Our next trip to the States will be toward the end of the month when we come back to Boston for son Dustin's wedding and to visit mom in Michigan. Then we'll be at the Georgia cabin in December.


Taking a break in Tela






Blockades when we tried to leave.

So returned to the beach



DESEO team at local school



Fascinating culture

Comments