Lessons From My Fathers In Heaven

John Writes - 
Aside from the fact that we look nothing alike, I will never be confused with Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor. Many will remember the 1990s television show titled “Home Improvement.”  It was one of the most-watched sitcoms ever and won many awards. The series launched Tim Allen's acting career as a “fix-it” expert.
God gives all of us talents and abilities,  but he obviously didn’t think I needed any “fix-it” skills – because I have none. I am not proud of that fact, of which I am vividly reminded daily by my very talented wife. You see, she was blessed by growing up with a father who could make or fix just about anything; in fact, he built the house in which Lisa grew from a cute infant into a beautiful woman.
She loved her dad, just as I loved my father. But on the “fix-it” scene, my dad was a perfectionist. He would try his best to instruct me in “man-things” like changing a tire, stopping a faucet from dripping (the only thing I learned there was the importance of turning the water valve off before beginning the fix), etc., but as I was undertaking hands-on learning exercises, the moment I missed a beat, he would take over.
Nothing in the “fix-it” zone has ever been easy for me, partly because of my father, God rest his soul, as he was a bit of a control freak.
I yearn to be in control in many ways, but that is not possible. God is the only one who is in control, and my lifelong surroundings include a smart wife and children who pretty much know it all, including how to fix things (especially in areas of technology).
It also seems I often find myself in uncontrollable situations, especially now that I live in Honduras. I have shared some of those over the last several months, so there is nothing good that can come from describing in detail many of my frustrations living in Santa Rosa de Copan. But for context, here are just a couple: Most significant has been having no control over my stroke. And then there are the terrible roads and drivers. There are many other things I just can’t, and likely never will be able to fix.
I am resigned that my “fix-it” abilities are next to nil. So be it.
Tools, however, are necessary keys for survival. Lisa and I have remarked many times that a job we were working on could have been much easier if we had the right tool(s).
So trying to convince myself that I was in control, before moving to Honduras, I packed my ‘Homer Box” with what I considered to be basic necessities (if you wonder about a “Homer Box” and the tools inside of it, photos are included in this post; along with other recent captured moments.)
Suffice to say, y tools in m box have not been sufficient. Numerous times I have asked myself why I didn’t also bring “this or that”
It’s time in this blog, however, to switch focus. I want to make it clear I was not disrespecting my father in earlier references, only sharing a truth about him. There are also many other truths about my dad and life tools he gave me. He was a good man. He was a minister of the gospel for more than 40 years. He taught me many, many things that have been incredibly more important in life than how to fix mechanical things. He taught me about God/Christ/the Holy Spirit/the Bible, respect for mankind, love, commitment, loyalty, empathy, understanding and so many other values (the list could go on and on) that are so critical and needed in the world today.
I think often about what he (and my mother) taught me, and I am honoring him (them) and glorifying God in a book I just completed writing. I am now in the editing process and hope to have it published soon. Additional and more specific information about this project will be presented in a future blog.
Aside from my family, God also gave me the gift of story-telling/writing and I will share many life tools and lessons, based on the Bible, hopefully in the next few months. The lessons are taken from some of my father’s sermons.
 It is titled: “Lessons from My Fathers in Heaven.”











Comments