Don't Worry... Be Thankful


John writes: 
     I recently returned from a three-week visit to the United States, so I could attend my son Noah's college graduation ceremonies in Grand Forks, ND and check on my mother-in-law, Vi, in Escanaba, MI.
     It was a long road trip with another son, Hank, and his girlfriend, Lora. We had planned some entertainment stops the third week but returned to Memphis early as Lora was sick. The early return, however was a blessing as I was able to spend quality time with good friends and brothers and sisters in Christ. And I had plenty of time to shop for some of the things hard to find in Honduras - and Lora got better quickly.
     It was a much needed break. Truth be told, my adjustment to living in Honduras hasn’t always been easy. Having said that, while I enjoyed much during my time in the States, I am glad to be back in Santa Rosa de Copan. First and foremost, I missed my wife. When we are apart neither of us are in our best form.Together we are whole.
     But being gone allowed me some time to reflect on several things.
     While the roads and drivers are terrible in Honduras, especially those piloting taxis, the United States has its share of "road idiots" (I will comment more on the word "idiot" a bit later). Two U.S. examples prompted me to use the "I" word. The first was a driver stopped at a red light with her turn signal flashing. They had at least 10 opportunities to turn after coming to a complete stop, but waited until the light turned green. The second was a driver getting onto the freeway who stopped on the on-ramp at the "yield" sign for what seemed to be forever, when they could have merged at least 15 different times. 
     While life, in general, has included some difficulties (my stroke and afternoon fatigue) since moving to Honduras, my adjustment as a volunteer at the mission here also hasn't gone as smoothly as I had hoped, or expected.
     For example, Mission employees, like Lisa, have defined duties. But that is not the case for volunteers and spouses. The result, for whatever reasons, is a lack of utilization of my abilities. That has been frustrating and has prompting me to question my purpose here and how I can realize my potential.

      I had time in the States to ponder my dilemma, and found some comfort in a book written by T.D. Jakes titled "Destiny: Step Into Your Purpose." His message primarily targets a younger crowd, not old retired folks like me. But while he preaches the word of the importance of finding purpose for those looking for a career, he also affirms that the ultimate purpose in life should be to strive daily to be more like Jesus Christ.
     Now that brings me back to what had become my favorite word - "idiot.” I don't believe Jesus would religiously be calling people idiots, even if they were acting in idiotic ways  So, I pledge to make an attempt to stop randomly using the word. But more importantly, since I have been reminded of my life purpose I will focus on that, and try not to worry, or be overly concerned about being a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.
     I just need to feel more like I am important to the work here and not just Lisa’s spouse.
     Nonetheless, I know God is in control and he will find a way for me, and that all things work together for the good of those that love the Lord.
     Actually, He already has as I am dedicated to a purpose of writing a book about the lessons my father preached during his lifetime ministry. This project helps me block frustrations and being in the word of God on a daily basis is a very good thing.
     One of the sermons my father preached was on “happiness.”
     I am trying to be happy by keep the three main points of that sermon fresh in my heart, mind and soul.
     Here are the three points he used as examples of how to be happy.

  • First, he said, fill your mind with good thoughts.
  • Second, fill your time with good works.
  • And third. Fill your soul with God. 
     The title of the book is "Lessons About Christian Life from My Fathers in Heaven.” I hope to publish it next year.
     Here are two additional thoughts about my situation. Maybe God is providing me with challenges in my life to help me grow in spirit. 
     Also, we must always remember Luke 22: 22-26:
“Then Jesus said to his disciples: Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?"
     I have much to be thankful for.







Comments